- Scalp Massage and Hot Oil Treatment
Massaging your scalp helps improve circulation and hence stimulates hair growth, and you only need to do it for about five minutes daily to see results. Just rub your fingers on your scalp in a circular motion, applying gentle pressure and kneading occasionally to open up the blood vessels and increase blood flow.
Massaging can also be combined with a hot oil treatment once or twice a week. Heat some coconut or olive oil in a microwave or a double-boiler. Heating it will help it penetrate the hair shaft easily and also reduce dandruff.
Put the hot oil on your hair and comb it through to ensure even distribution and reduce breakage during shampooing. Wear a plastic cap or wrap a warm towel around your head (use a hair dryer to heat the towel) and leave it on for at least half an hour before shampooing.
Rosemary is an excellent herb for your hair. It promotes growth of long hair, strengthens the roots, and eliminates dandruff. The herb has antioxidant properties that boost hair growth. In addition, the sulfur and silica content in rosemary helps reverse hair loss.
Rosemary will help increase circulation to the scalp and unclog blocked hair follicles. Furthermore, it can help darken your hair.
- Mix two drops of rosemary essential oil in two tablespoons of a base oil such as olive, coconut, jojoba, almond or avocado oil. Apply it on your hair and massage the scalp. Leave it on for at least half an hour and then shampoo your hair as usual.
- You can also use rosemary water as a final hair rinse. To prepare it, steep two or three rosemary sprigs in two cups of hot water for about five minutes. If you have the dried form of the herb, boil a handful of it in water. Allow it to cool and then strain the infusion. Rinse your hair with it after shampooing.
- Castor Oil
Castor oil facilitates hair growth because it is rich in omega-9 fatty acids and vitamin E. The thick oil moisturizes your hair, adds volume, prevents frizzing, and also fights scalp infections.
- It is best to mix castor oil with an equal amount of a base oil to get a better consistency and enhance the benefits. Rub it on your scalp and massage. Leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes. Finally, rinse it out and shampoo your hair. If it is difficult to remove, use a clarifying shampoo.
- To make it more effective, mix four drops of rosemary essential oil in an ounce of castor oil and then use it on your hair and scalp.
Hair is made up of keratin protein and eggs are a great source of protein. Thus, they are highly beneficial in helping your hair grow.
- Whisk two egg yolks and mix in two tablespoons of olive oil. Apply the mixture on your scalp and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it out with cold water and then shampoo your hair as usual.
- Alternatively, mix one egg and one-quarter cup each of plain yogurt and mayonnaise in a blender. Apply this hair mask and cover your hair with a shower cap. Leave it on for at least half an hour before rinsing it out.
- Indian Gooseberry
When dealing with hair loss, you can apply coconut oil infused with Indian gooseberry, or amla, to encourage hair growth. It will help greatly with premature graying as well.
- Heat some coconut oil in a pan and cook dried amla pieces in it until they are charred. Strain and cool the oil.
- Massage your hair and scalp with it. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Do this on a weekly basis.
Alternatively, you can apply a mixture of one tablespoon each of dried Indian gooseberry powder and lemon juice. Simply applying fresh amla juice is also useful.
- Lemon Juice
Lemons are rich in vitamin C and vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, folic acid, and other nutrients. Plus, they are loaded with antioxidants. In addition to hair growth, lemon juice promotes smooth, shiny, dandruff-free hair. When applied on the scalp, it stimulates circulation and hence prevents hair loss. Do not use lemon juice in excess though, as it can lighten your hair color over time.
- Mix one part lemon juice and two parts of coconut or olive oil.
- Apply it on your hair and scalp and leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Wash it out and then shampoo your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat once or twice a week.
To get all these in our ayurvedic products.